Goodbye, Sophomore

     Hello! I haven't been able to update my blog since I entered university except for my last two posts about being in Journalism and about a K-pop concert that I went to. As for my university life, I didn't update it in here at all. Firstly, I don't really know what to talk about as it wasn't that exciting and second, I'm just too lazy to write it down haha. Blame my procrastinating self at that.

So, I actually found the motivation to write today and since my exams have already finished, I decided to simply list out the exciting and unforgettable experiences I have gotten for this whole two years in USM!

Disclaimer: These things I listed may not be exciting at all for you, but for me, it is.

On to the list!

1. Sharpening my skill in foreign language.

    As an INFP (this is a personality type, and I will be doing a post focusing on this later if I feel like doing it lol), my greatest pleasure in life aside from food is learning new languages. Not trying to generalize all INFPs but from what I know, most of this personality type possess a knack for learning languages. If you scrolled my blog for a bit, you will know that I have been a fan of Korean pop for a long time. I started being interested in the East Asian country since I was still 14 after watching a Korean drama titled 'Boys Over Flowers'. From then on, I started to learn how to read Hangul scripts from the internet and everything else after that was self-taught.

Thus, I pretty much knew basic things in the language when I was 21 but not enough to actually have a conversation with a native speaker. So, I decided to take on Level 1 Korean when I was in my second semester and continued to take Level 2 in my fourth semester. Level 2 is the highest level offered in my university but even then, it wasn't enough if I want to be fluent in it.

To be completely honest, learning this language wasn't really a big challenge for me especially for the basics since I have been learning it by myself but it was a bit challenging to get around the grammar. Anyways, after learning Level 2, I can now watch dramas or any programmes without any subtitle and I can understand the lyrics to a song I listen to after first listen.

I'm thinking of taking Korean Proficiency Test before I graduate since I can use it to get a job in translating, but we'll see about that.

By now, I already know 3 languages (make it 4 if my mother's ethnic language is included) and I wanted to add one more... call me greedy, I don't care. The satisfaction of learning new languages is beyond any good things in life for me.

Still thinking of the next language I want to tackle in, though. Either Spanish, Chinese or French. I'll decide it later on.

2. Learning new skills

     This one is one of the points that make me feel grateful for choosing Journalism as my major. In the past, I used to just take photos without any care in the world as long as it looks pretty. Now, since we learned how to take photos (notice how I used the word 'photos' instead of the usual 'pictures') with the correct angle, lighting and stuff, I started to take interest in photography. Sadly, I don't have a DSLR camera but for now, my smart phone will suffice. Sometimes I get to borrow the camera from our school's office (which, for note, only reserved for Journalism students) when I need to cover some news and I took photos of some random things I find pretty.

For some reference, here are two of the best photos I took (the best out of 200+ photos lol my photography skill is below average):

Photo 1: Masjid Zahir in Alor Setar, Kedah.
Taken during my 2 days 1 night trip with my friends to Padang Besar, Perlis.

Photo 2:  A random snail.
Taken during my assignment trip to Kek Lok Si Temple.
The random snail photo is actually my favorite because it was so cute haha please ignore my eccentric behavior lol. The photos above may not be that great to you, but for me, those were my best ones. I used to take worse photos before hahaha.

All in all, majoring in Journalism taught me a few skills I wouldn't have gotten if I never entered Communication school. Those skills include photography, news writing (which I can proudly say have gotten better than I first started lolol), and also using softwares like InDesign.

My only problem is how to use InDesign, I always get confused with the buttons and end up giving up because it was too complicated for me. I wish I can use Photoshop since I'm more comfortable with it but sadly, our newspaper and magazine layout need to be done by using InDesign...

I wish I can get better in it since I'll be in charge of layouts for Berita Kampus group next semester (ha ha ha kill me now). I think I will get better if I learned well.

3. Learning how to open up

     Learning how to open up in my dictionary doesn't mean I open up to people the first time I meet them, heck, I still have problem with actually talking about my weaknesses and stuff to my best friends. What I meant by learning how to open up is that I learned how to talk to strangers when needed (especially when I need to interview people) and I also noticed that I became more open to the prospect of meeting new people and making new friends.

4. Strengthening leadership skills

       If I am going to be completely honest, I think I lack leadership. Heck, I never even want to become a leader in any sort of project because I can't really make decision without the approval of my group members. The fact that my way of thinking differs from most people I met is not helping in any way as well. Throughout my two years in USM, I was assigned to be leader for a few assignment projects and I can say that it makes me realize that I can actually be a good leader, it's just leading others is not a concept I am keen with. 

This is all thanks to my teammates who believed and complimented me for being a good leader and continue to push me into being one again even after I stubbornly said "No".

I don't think I will ever be one again, though.


These are all of it I think.

To be honest, I'm really surprised that it was already the end of my second year here in USM. At first, I was just this timid, introverted girl who never took a step outside her home and the prospect of having to live in Penang for 4 years frightened me. I thought of giving up countless times every time it gets hard, but I decided to keep holding on because of my family.

Thinking back, who knew I would actually held on for two years?

May junior year be a smooth sailing year!

Until then, goodbye!
XOXO,
fiqa

Comments

zakpaddock said…
Play free video slot games on the internet - Dr.MCD
Play free video slot games on the 계룡 출장마사지 internet - 의정부 출장마사지 Dr.MCD - the 상주 출장샵 first-class 상주 출장마사지 gambling & entertainment destination in the USA. Play free slots 광주 출장샵 or table games

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: UiTM Mass Communication 2015

2016 iKONCERT Showtime Tour: Live in Malaysia